Thursday, September 20, 2012

kimya dawson

this morning i pay homage to kimya dawson, and iced coffee. amen.

the cover of kimya's blog: kimyadawsom.tumblr.com
i woke up this morning in a very kimya dawson-esque mood.


Kimya Dawson is an American singer-songwriter, best known as a solo performer and as one half of The Moldy Peaches, and a part of Antsy Pants. In Swahili, "Kimya" means "silence" or "silent".

if you've never heard of kimya, i suggest youtubing some of her songs. 

a brief list of favorites:
- the beer
- loose lips
- the competition
- anyone else but you 
- tire swing
- my roller coaster
- i like giants

kimya's music is child-like, and dark at the same time, and it really speaks to me.
it's a niche of music, that's for sure.

here's something i found on kimya's blog that i just adore:
Someone asked Kimya on her blog: Hey! You’re answering questions! I’m ceasing this opportunity! So, I’m just interested to know your thoughts: I get, and think it’s totally awesome that you don’t remove body hair and you wear your ‘fro naturally, because ‘you are an animal’. That rocks, but I wonder how you reconcile that with dying hair and getting tattoos, which animals don’t tend to do. Are they all not a part of the big vanity game? It’s not a criticism and I think I know the answer, but I’d love to hear your take on it. X
And Kimya responded with: I am not opposed to people shaving or wearing makeup or processing their hair or anything like that. I just think people should do what they like because they like it and that is how they feel comfortable and not because it is how they feel they have to be in order to be perceived as beautiful and normal according to some bullhooey external standards. Be you for you. 
I like my hair like this right now. I am sure my hair will change at some point. It always does. Google “Kimya Dawson’s hair”. 
I don’t mind body hair and I don’t care what other people think about body hair and I am lazy and I hate the way it feels growing in and when I used to shave I would cut myself all the time. So I don’t shave. But if I wake up one day and I feel like shaving it all off then I will, but it will be because I feel like it. 
Saying “I’m an animal” doesn’t mean I am trying to be completely natural all the time and that I am a snob about it. It just means it is okay to be completely natural if and when I choose to be regardless of what anyone else thinks. 
When I was in middle school I decided I would rather be myself and be an outcast than be accepted but living a lie. For me it was never about vanity. It has always been about just being true to my likes and being true to who I am. 
A lot of people are quick to assume that people who aren’t trying to blend in are trying to get attention, but that isn’t always the case. 
Most of the time I wish I was invisible, but I’ve got a circus act of a soul sometimes and I can’t stifle that. Sometimes I just get into frumpy mom mode too and I can’t stifle that either. 
If you wanna shave shave. If you don’t don’t. 
If you wanna get all Punky Brewster’d out do it to it. 
If you wanna slip into a pair of sweet jeggings and an oversized sweatshirt that’s okay too.
Don’t worry about everyone else.
I love you (and me) no matter what. 
{How wonderful is that}
FIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment