Monday, August 20, 2012

dear mister akin



I read something today that really rustled my feathers. Have you heard the word on Mr. Akin and his legitimate rape remarks? 

Well...

From The New York Times, written by John Eligon and Michael Schwirtz:

"In an effort to explain his stance on abortion, Representative Todd Akin, the Republican Senate nominee from Missouri, provoked ire across the political spectrum on Sunday by saying that in instances of what he called “legitimate rape,” women’s bodies somehow blocked an unwanted pregnancy.

Asked in an interview on a St. Louis television station about his views on abortion, Mr. Akin, a six-term member of Congress who is backed by Tea Party conservatives, made it clear that his opposition to the practice was nearly absolute, even in instances of rape.

“It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare,” Mr. Akin said of pregnancies from rape. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something: I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be of the rapist, and not attacking the child.”

--------------------------------------

I find Mr.Akins words outrageous, and following in my favorite feminists Eve Enslers footsteps, I am going to write Todd Akin an email, and I encourage all of you to do so, too. 


And, here's my letter: 

Mr. Akin, 

I would like you to know it has taken just over two years for my mind, body and spirit to recover from my rape. You can say now (in your retraction statements) that you sympathize to the fullest extent with victims/and/survivors of sexual assault, but your off-the-cuff statements reveal your true feelings towards rape culture. 

It honestly breaks my heart that a (precievably) intelligent individual such as yourself would make a comment so ignorant towards women, and rape culture. 

I - of course - have a personal connection to the issue as I have stated above, but I do not want that connection to make you think any less credible my opinion. If anything, it should strengthen the words I am about to say.

The very words you used (LEGITIMATE RAPE) make me sick to my stomach. There should be no instance when a rape is considered/referred to as not legitimate. By declaring some rapes legitimate, you are automatically saying that some sexual assaults are not legitimate... Do you know how many women a year are told that their rapes were "not legitimate?" Do you have any idea how many women slip into depression, self-medicate, take their own lives, because of ignorant men and women telling them that they weren't "really" raped, that it was their fault, that they were asking for it? 

It goes without being said that victims of sexual assault have experienced a very intense personal trauma, one that has many negative effects — these negative "symptoms" of rape are only increased tenfold when the survivor is blamed by friends, family, the media, etc.

Victims of sexual assault have enough to deal with, without obnoxious anti-abortion snobs taking away their RIGHT to have an abortion, if that is so their choice.

Many sexual assault survivors already have to deal with the torment of many people saying that their rape was not legitimate, that it was their fault, that they were asking for it — now, women who are raped also have to hear that it is their fault that their rapist impregnated them against their will, because their body should have stopped it.

Are you kidding me? Did you hear the words coming out of your mouth?

You have already backtracked your statement, but no amount of back-peddling will ever erase what you said, and I consider that a good thing - I hope people do not let your so-called "politically correct" back-peddling statements ease their minds: You meant what you said, that's why you said it. I hope people never forget your horrible words, and it brings forth positive change in our world.

I hope more than anything that maybe the opposing words you are hearing will sink in, and change your views.

With respect,
Teagan Laurel Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment